Friday, June 29, 2012

I Am an Ultra Runner, This is my Year!

Bad Marsh is over and I have earned my first Ultra finisher medal. This was indeed a tough run, it had it's share of good and bad. I wasn't able to finish the 31.5 mi run, instead thanks to an uneasy stomach and nausea I could only throw down 22.5 miles.  I still feel like I ran an ultra and that's what matters to me most. I have 2 more 50k ultras before the year is up and one of those being the same course, just during the day instead of night. The event brought together a lot of good people and good vibes, I have fallen in love with the Ultra scene and the people who are a part of it. It's almost a new "breed", Everyone brings something special or unique to the field of ultra running in their own standards. I remember standing at the start with about 100 people and I felt so comfortable. Unlike the feeling at a local 5k or even the local marathon, I felt like this was a group of people I already knew and we were all running for fun.

In November they will be hosting another 50k event, "Mad Marsh" and this will be during the day and a lot cooler weather. The Bad Marsh last weekend was a night ultra and the race started with 90 degree weather and 84% humidity. I can't wait to set foot on the trail once more and this time go the extra 2 laps to make it 31.5 miles. 

I have a busy schedule coming up and I feel like it's about time. July 8th I'll be in SC for the XTERRA Harbison Trail 13.1, October 13th I am running the North Face Endurance Challenge 50K, November 3rd will be the Rock N Roll Savannah Marathon, November 17th Mad Marsh 50K, December 3rd 15K Savannah Bridge run (piece of cake compared to the other races) and then January I will be running the Delrium 6hr Ultra. By that time there may be more added to the list. Between most of these races especially in September-December I will be running several local 5K races.
I have a lot on my plate, and I"M HUNGRY.... This will be my year and start of something great, I will become an Ultra Runner and continue pushing the mileage until I reach 100 mile distance Ultras (probably 3-4 years from now).

now to go train and work in this crazy HOT Savannah weather (102 degrees today)

Stay Strong...Never Stop Moving Forward~

1 comment:

  1. Great Job Michael, I look forward to watching you progress! Welcome to the Ultra Family!

    ReplyDelete