Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Training Update, With Some Motivation!

My hip injury has fully subsided and I was able to put in 40 miles last week. I was able to catch the injury quick and get back to running slowly after only 2 days off. I started off the recovery with stretching and light strength training for the legs. I was doing 10 single leg squats, followed by 25 dips with no weight. I did this just 3 times last week and felt great after the third. After the first day my legs were pretty sore from not incorporating any type of strength training in my training regimen. I also ran my first 3 days on the rails to trails out near Tybee, I felt that the softer impact from the trail would feel better than the asphalt on the road. I started Tuesday with 4 miles, Wednesday with 5, and Thursday with 8 miles. I felt really great on each run, especially since my average pace for each run was between 9:45-10:05 per mile( Ultra-marathon pace). The feeling of just being able to get out and run last week was great, I wasn't going to let that injury stand in my way, again. I ended up taking Friday off running as usual, so I would be well rested for my long tempo on Saturday and Short tempo on Sunday. When Saturday came I was more than ready to go out and get a run in that was faster than my pace during the week. I love running slow and controlled, but I've always loved my tempo days more. I ran 10 miles Saturday morning at an 8:15 pace, I also ran another 6 miles that afternoon for a recovery, which was a really nice way to end the day. I ended my week on Sunday with 6.5 mile run around Wilmington Island.

After being injured just 10 days ago, I'm glad to be back at it. I feel like by having confidence in a strong recovery and not throwing in the towel when you're down is the only way to get stronger, physically and mentally. With the help and confidence I was given by fellow readers and friends to guide me through my recovery was very appreciated. To know that you are not alone when you're out there running or even when you're put on the sidelines from an injury is a wonderful thought. We as runners have this positive vibe of energy that surrounds each one of us. We will always give advice to one that is in need of assistance. We will slow down our pace and fall back to stick by your side and motivate you to the finish when you're feeling that urge to stop.  We will be your pacer and support team in a 50 mi, 100mi, or whatever distance you decide to challenge, and never think once about quitting. We will always push ourselves closer to the edge of our own limitations, because once you've crossed that line you set yourself up for new limits to reach. Always run with confidence in yourself, and remember that you are only what you set yourself up to be. Become fluent in what you want to achieve, not only in running, but in life. Always go for the gold, and become a better "You" tomorrow.

Until my next blog...   "Stay Strong...Never Stop Moving Forward!"

(Two and a half weeks left of training until the taper week before the Bad Marsh 50K..)

No comments:

Post a Comment